What is Myopia?
- Myopia is the medical term for nearsightedness or shortsightedness.
- Caused by excessive elongation of the eye globe in relation to the curvature of the cornea.
- Distant objects appear blurred because their images are focused in front of the retina rather than on it.
Why is myopia a problem?
Myopia can lead to the following complications:
- Retinal detachment
- Myopic macular degeneration
- Early cataract
Undetected myopia before the age of 6 can lead to ambylopia (lazy eye)
Myopia usually develops and progresses in childhood, but stabilises when one enters adulthood. Our preventive efforts are therefore focused on children. Based on a study by the Singapore Eye Research Institute, Eagle Eye Myopia Control Programme has been developed to reduce the progression of myopia in children using atropine eye drops. **The original study using Atropine 1% showed a highly promising result with an 77% reduction in myopia progression over a 2 years span, proving that myopia progression can be retarded pharmacologically. Importantly, safety data from the study confirmed that atropine eye drops is well tolerated and free from significant complications.
**Reference: Atropine for the Treatment of Childhood Myopia Vol.113, Ophthalmology 2006;113:2285-2291 – 2006 by the American Academy of Ophthalmology
In more recent years. a follow-up study showed that lower concentrations of atropine were also effective in slowing down myopia progression. It showed that side effects were minimal and children did not need transitional or progressive glasses. In particular atropine 0.01% reduced myopia progression 60% or so and showed less rebound after stopping the drops when compared to the higher concentrations.
What can EEC Offer?
Who is eligible for this program?
- Children aged 6 to 12 years
- Spherical refractive error between -1.00 to -6.00
- Normal ocular health other than myopia
- Good general health with no heart or respiratory diseases
- No lazy eyes
Is my child suitable for Eagle Eye Myopia Control Program?
Call or Email us at email@example.com to find out more about Eagle Eye Myopia Control Program.